Un-Stacking The Shelves (1)

Un-Stacking The Shelves is my version of Stacking The Shelves, except the goal is to remove the books from my shelves rather than add to them! These are the 5 books in my treebook pile and the 5 books on my eBook app, that I plan to read next and will be posting reviews of very soon. Some repeats will inevitably happen over the weeks as I'm not a machine and can't read that many in a week. Feel free to make your own if you like the idea!

The Rule of Claw - John Brindley
We enter a futuristic world and meet a band of sixteen year olds who were dumped in isolation at an early age. They're educated partly by gleaning facts from the few books in their possession, but primarily through their experiences of survival which features death and danger. A new threat emerges when the teens transcend their own rules and eat animal flesh. Ash is kidnapped and becomes a pawn in the power struggles between the formidable raptors. In these beautiful beasts, she glimpses new forms of evolution which make her consider her own humanity. Soon she learns the frightening truth of their origins. And realizes the dangerous implications for herself and her friends.

Diverse Energies - Various
In a world gone wrong, heroes and villains are not always easy to distinguish and every individual has the ability to contribute something powerful.
In this stunning collection of original and rediscovered stories of tragedy and hope, the stars are a diverse group of students, street kids, good girls, kidnappers, and child laborers pitted against their environments, their governments, differing cultures, and sometimes one another as they seek answers in their dystopian worlds. Take a journey through time from a nuclear nightmare of the past to society’s far future beyond Earth with these eleven stories by masters of speculative fiction. Includes stories by Paolo Bacigalupi, Ursula K. Le Guin, Malinda Lo, Cindy Pon, Daniel H. Wilson, and more.


Amy and Roger's Epic Detour - Morgan Matson
Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

 Dearly, Departed - Lia Habel
Love can never die.
Love conquers all, so they say. But can Cupid’s arrow pierce the hearts of the living and the dead—or rather, the undead? Can a proper young Victorian lady find true love in the arms of a dashing zombie?
In Dearly, Departed, romance meets walking-dead thriller, spawning a madly imaginative novel of rip-roaring adventure, spine-tingling suspense, and macabre comedy that forever redefines the concept of undying love.


 Angelfall - Susan Ee
It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.
Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.
Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.
Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.


Don't Even Think About It - Sarah Mlynowski
This is the story of how we became freaks. It's how a group of I's became a we.
When Class 10B got their flu shots, they expected some side effects. Maybe a sore arm. Maybe a headache. They definitely didn't expect to get telepathy. But suddenly they could hear what everyone was thinking. Their friends. Their teachers. Their parents. Now they all know that Tess has a crush on her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper. Some of them will thrive. Some of them will break. None of them will ever be the same.


The Dollhouse Asylum - Mary Grey
A virus that had once been contained has returned, and soon no place will be left untouched by its destruction. But when Cheyenne wakes up in Elysian Fields--a subdivision cut off from the world and its monster-creating virus--she is thrilled to have a chance at survival.
At first, Elysian Fields,with its beautiful houses and manicured lawns, is perfect. Teo Richardson, the older man who stole Cheyenne's heart, built it so they could be together. But when Teo tells Cheyenne there are tests that she and seven other couples must pass to be worthy of salvation, Cheyenne begins to question the perfection of his world.
The people they were before are gone. Cheyenne is now "Persephone," and each couple has been re-named to reflect the most tragic romances ever told. Everyone is fighting to pass the test, to remain in Elysian Fields. Teo dresses them up, tells them when to move and how to act, and in order to pass the test, they must play along.
If they play it right, then they'll be safe.
But if they play it wrong, they'll die.


 A Mad, Wicked Folly - Sharon Biggs Waller
Welcome to the world of the fabulously wealthy in London, 1909, where dresses and houses are overwhelmingly opulent, social class means everything, and women are taught to be nothing more than wives and mothers. Into this world comes seventeen-year-old Victoria Darling, who wants only to be an artist—a nearly impossible dream for a girl.
After Vicky poses nude for her illicit art class, she is expelled from her French finishing school. Shamed and scandalized, her parents try to marry her off to the wealthy Edmund Carrick-Humphrey. But Vicky has other things on her mind: her clandestine application to the Royal College of Art; her participation in the suffragette movement; and her growing attraction to a working-class boy who may be her muse—or may be the love of her life. As the world of debutante balls, corsets, and high society obligations closes in around her, Vicky must figure out: just how much is she willing to sacrifice to pursue her dreams?


 The 100 - Kass Morgan
 In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.
Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.




Salted - Aaron Galvin 
 Life isn’t better under the sea.
Lenny Dolan is all too familiar with this reality. A Selkie slave in the realm beneath the waves, he has no choice when charged with leading a crew ashore to capture an elusive runaway. If unsuccessful, the loved ones kept behind will pay for his failure with their lives.
But when their target leads Lenny and his crew to deeper, darker secrets, the Selkies are faced with a moral dilemma. Secure their own freedom at the expense of others, or return empty-handed to face the grisly consequences?
How Lenny and his crew answer the question will teach them the harshest truth of all. Only through the loss of innocence does one become Salted.

(The author is ridiculously good looking, it has to be said)

Have you read any of these? Did you love them or hate them? Link me your reviews and STS posts! 

Comments

  1. Great books for you this week! Tease sounds really good! I hope you enjoy your new books!!
    Brittany @ Spare Time Book blog
    My STS: http://sparetimebookblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/stacking-shelves_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading A Mad, Wicked Folly, too! I'm not that far into it yet but I like what I've read so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have quite a list this week. I have heard so many things about Angelfall!!! Can't wait to see what you think about it.

    Angie
    My STS/Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read Amy and Roger's Epic Detour since I've heard only good things about it since it was released!
    I did not enjoy Angelfall myself, but I get why it has gained all that hype around it.
    Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great haul! I really liked Angelfall, but I didn't really get the hype about the second book. :/ Happy reading and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I loved Angelfall! I hope you enjoy everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angelfall and Don't Even Think About It are both really good! I hope you enjoy them too! Happy reading, thanks for sharing, and great haul! xD

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite a haul - thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I'm interested to see what you think about Don't Even Think About It. I was too curious not to request it, even though I've heard it's kind of weird. ;) STILL. And Angelfall! *fangirls quietly* I loved that book a ridiculous amount.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'd better read Angelfall soon! I look forward to your review about it. I'm following your blog to stay tune!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a copy of Angelfall, but I haven't gotten to it yet sadly. Happy reading! My STS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great haul this week! Hope you enjoy all your new books. BTW I added you ong GR :)

    OUT's STS

    Leydy from OUAT & RCE

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:49 am BST

    Don't Even Think About It looks so intriguing! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to read Angelfall. Excited to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was really keen to read Angelfall but in the end I didn't really enjoy it. I just found it a bit slow and I didn't really connect with the characters. Hope you have a better time with it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dearly, Departed was a really nice one, one day I'll have to read book 2. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really, really enjoyed Angelfall, but I still haven't gotten to read the second book in this series yet.

    Great idea to un-stack rather than stack :D

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Haul! I have Angelfall and really want to read it. I have to get working on that. Seems I am always behind on my reading.

    Thanks for stopping by my STS this week!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great haul! I remember reading and really loving Amy & Roger's Epic Detour, it was a really sweet story. I have heard so many amazing things about Angelfall, I hope to read that one myself soon. I hope you enjoy all of your books and thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the idea! I have so many books on my shelves that I just don't read. Happy reading and thanks for stopping by!

    Zareena @ Books and Books

    ReplyDelete
  21. I admire your goal. Unfortunately, my TBR mountain just keeps growing. Come see what I added this week at Inside of a Dog and Ms. Martin Teaches Media. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Angelfall is so good! The sequel was great too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very clever! Love the un-stacking idea! Hope you enjoy Don't Even Think About It as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A Mad Wicked Folly and Angelfall are both books on my TBR list that I'm hoping to get to soon! This is a great idea, good luck with your books!

    Cyn @ Bookmunchies

    ReplyDelete
  25. I must confess that I really disliked The Dollhouse Asylum. I hope you have better luck with it. I've had Angelfall on my TBR forever, and I hope to read it soon.

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved Angelfall. Got A Mad Wicked Folly this week from the library, hopefully we both enjoy it! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, I do adore your alternate STS feature, Vickie! Very clever! :)

    If I had to pick 5 books from my treebook pile to read soon, they would be:

    *Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
    *Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama
    *Every day by David Levithan
    *The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
    *All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill (recently acquired)

    I do hope you get to read all of these! Thanks for dropping by and happy reading! :)

    Marlene @ The Flyleaf Review

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great stack of books! Good Luck with Unstacking your shelves this Week! Angelfall looks great! Thanks for stopping by my STS!

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a great idea! I need to do this too- I get obsessed with getting new books, but I should just read the ones I have (at last check, I had 83 books that I owned and haven't read. So bad!). I have read Angelfall- AMAZING! I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have close to 200 or maybe 300... D:

      Delete
  30. Great haul this week! I have heard some really great things about Angelfall. Don't Even Think About It is a cute one..hope you enjoy all your new goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Un-stacking The Shelves is a great idea!! I haven't read any of these but there are quite a few on my TBR list. I'd especially like to read Amy and Roger's Epic Detour and Angelfall. Good luck with your un-stacking challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really enjoyed Don't Even Think About It. It's pretty fun. I really need to read both Amy and Roger and The 100. Good luck with your reading challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ooh, it sounds like you're going to have a good week! I LOVE Dearly Departed and A Mad, Wicked Folly, and I've got a copy of The 100 from the library. :D

    Happy reading!
    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus