Review of Popular by Maya Van Wagenen

Format: Paperback (for review)
Genres: Non-Fiction, High School, Humour,
Pages: 259
Publisher: Penguin
Release Date: 15/04/2014
Find The Author: Twitter
Book Depository ¦ Amazon UK/US ¦ Goodreads


Stuck at the bottom of the social ladder at pretty much the lowest level of people at school who aren’t paid to be here,” Maya Van Wagenen decided to begin a unique social experiment: spend the school year following a 1950s popularity guide, written by former teen model Betty Cornell. Can curlers, girdles, Vaseline, and a strand of pearls help Maya on her quest to be popular?

The real-life results are painful, funny, and include a wonderful and unexpected surprise—meeting and befriending Betty Cornell herself. Told with humor and grace, Maya’s journey offers readers of all ages a thoroughly contemporary example of kindness and self-confidence.


I received a request for review from Penguin for this book and after being shocked and honoured at being contacted at all, I initially wasn't sure if to accept this book for review. This is a non-fiction book after all and there is no reviews for non-fiction on my blog as far as I was aware. However, this experiment intrigued me so I happily accepted. I'm so, so glad I did.

Popular doesn't read like a non-fiction book. In fact in a few places I had to remind myself that it wasn't fiction. Maya is the most amazing writer. She's funny, frank and even as a 22 year old living in England, I felt that I could relate to her. There were some popularity tips from her in the book that had me crying with laughter! I'm very aware of the popularity ladder in high schools, however we didn't actually have one in our school, or at least I was never aware of one. There were groups of friends sure but no set tables and everyone just talked to everyone else. I still strongly understood Maya's attempts to fit in however.

I have been trying out one of the Popularity tips, which is good posture. All I've discovered is that my normal posture (hunched over like a cat over a food bowl) is so bad that sitting properly is physically painful. I'm sticking at it though in the hopes that the searing pain might wear off soon. I must look ridiculous hunched over like that.


Comments

  1. So happy you liked this one! I agree with the posture thing, I have the exact same problem. I don't even realize that I'm doing it either!! Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus