Many Covers Monday: Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Today we're looking at the many different covers of and choosing a winner! Some are rejackets and others are foreign language covers.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.
In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.
When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?




(UK/US) I kind of have issues with both of these covers, at the same tie as loving them. 

The UK cover I have issues with because some ass dropped a book on the floor and left it there poor thing. Also the tiny detail that you can pick up on by reading the description ''black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there'' I'm not seeing no scorched.

The US cover, although iconic in my mind, is just kinda weird when you start really looking at it. I mean, what's with the weird blue photoshopped on mask?

  
(Chinese/Czech) These are nice. Not sure why the Chinese cover has two moons and architecture that looks nothing like Prague, but they're nice.


(Dutch/French) I do actually really like the Dutch cover, I'd pick it up if I saw it. The French cover? Not so much.


(German/Indonesian) Oh I like these. I like these A LOT. The German cover is the first one to feature a girl with blue hair (the French smurf doesn't count) and I just love all the spirals and features and city silhouette, perfect. Although the Indonesian cover is a simple one, I'm a sucker for fonts...


(Italian/Korean) Why are you doing that with your head and gee, that mask must have been expensive.


(Slovak/UK) I really like the UK cover, it's simple but very effective. I'm not a fan of muscular men on my book covers however....


Winner


With a gorgeous font, lots of swirly stuff to look at, silhouettes of the city and a model with blue hair, this cover easily won for me. If I could speak German, I'd definitely buy it.

Comments

  1. I love both of the UK covers :) None of the others really sway me!
    Rosie // Rosie Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the winner that you've picked here! The inclusion of an actual girl with blue hair and some illustration style shapes that are reminiscent of Karou's sketch books make it beautiful to me! The second UK Cover with the purple feathers is the one that I own and I do really like it! Also, Eretz has two moons which the Chimaera worship. One is Ellai and the other (bigger one) is Nitid. The architecture probably doesn't look like Prague, it's more likely this is a scene from Eretz and I really love that particular cover design! :)

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Chinese cover has two moons because in Eretz there are two moons, Ellai and Nitid. :) Love the Dutch, German, and Indonesian covers! I'm with you--the German cover is my favorite. I've seen pictures of it without the dust jacket and the cover art is also printed on the book itself, which is so cool! If I ever came across a copy, I think I'd buy it even though I can't speak German, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with the German one! I also kind of like the Korean and UK ones, but the German one wins by a landslide for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Chinese cover is beautiful. The Korean cover is also nice.

    I can't like the German one that everyone loves, because it's just too "busy". The cityscape with 2 layers of swirls and the wings just looks tacky to me. It seems overdone, as if they were trying too hard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus