Review of Nowhere by Jon Robinson

Format: Paperback (for review)
Genres: mystery, action, dystopia,
Pages: 259
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: 04/07/2013
Find The Author: Website ¦ Twitter
Book Depository ¦ Amazon UK/US ¦ Goodreads


'No one's coming for us.
Not our families, not the police.
No one.'

Alyn, Jes, Ryan and Elsa are Nowhere.
A concrete cube in the middle of a dense forest.
Imprisoned inside are one hundred teenagers from all over the country.
They're all criminals. But none of them remember committing any crimes.
Who has put them there. What do their captors want?
And how will they ever break free...



I was offered copies of both Nowhere and Anywhere from Penguin, happily accepted and had read them both the day after they dropped through my door! This book is so much fun, with lots of action and sci-fi and mystery thrown in. The mark of a great book is not wanting to stop reading to even eat, and I certainly did with both Nowhere and Anywhere.

The storytelling is very clever, throwing us straight into the action to meet the characters and telling us about how they got there later. The writing does need a little work but the story was so good it barely bothered me. The characters are many, I think there's... six characters in all, Ryan, Elsa, Jes, Alyn, a guy that likes coins and a guy that's an ass. Despite me not remembering two of their names (not uncommon), I remembered the characters easily and never got confused, which is unusually for me, as I've been known to get confused when there's just two characters.

The mystery and wondering if they'd make their great escape is what really kept me reading. The building itself felt very suffocating, especially when they were confined to their rooms quite often. There's some really cool sci-fi tech in here too! They're these... gun like things that shoot sound (I think) which is basically really painful and will knock you out for a while. And make you lose your memory. With no physical scarring. I have no idea why they do these things though, hopefully that's explained later.

The story ended on an awesome cliffhanger and left a lot of questions, so I grabbed the second book as soon as I finished it. The third (and I think, final) book isn't released until 2015 however, so if you're not a fan of cliffhangers you might want to hold buying this series until then.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

Stacking the Shelves (12/04/2014)