Review of Shadowcursed by Gelo R. Fleisher

Format: eBook (for review)
Genres: Fantasy,
Pages: 110
Publisher: Self Published
Release Date: 21/03/2013
Find The Author: Blog 


Amazon UK/US ¦ Goodreads


Bolen is a thief, plying his trade under the spires of an ancient and sprawling city. Worried that he's growing too old, Bolen has lined up a risky job, just to prove that he can still pull one off.
Tonight, he's going to break into a nobleman's vault and help himself to its contents. What he doesn't know is that inside is the key to a secret as old as the city itself.


Kings have killed for it, demons have coveted it, priests have prayed for it, and in a few moments it will be in his hands. And when it is, the adventure of his life will begin.



I wasn't sure if I would like this book but the second half of the description hooked me, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm glad I did because I loved this strange little tale of a thief and a King, thrown together in the most unlikely of circumstances.

Bolan is a character that is easy to empathise with, once one of the best thieves in the city he's now getting old and can no longer pull off a job as quickly as he used to. Still he takes this one to relive his glory days but finds himself strangely attached to the little ruby figure. One event leads to another and Bolen finds himself getting in a lot deeper than he expected.

I think that the fantasy elements and the city itself in this story would appeal to Discworld fans, I know the world did remind me of Ankh Morpork. Considering that this is Gelo's first book, I was surprised by just how well written it is and how well fleshed out the characters were. It's a short book but a fun read!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

Stacking the Shelves (12/04/2014)