Weekly Update (21/04/2018)

 
This week I started trying to catch up on my NetGalley shelf... and then requested some more. Whoops. I have 12 books on my shelf so it's not too bad at least!

Received This Week On NetGalley



Each year, the North American Confederation of Mages assesses every sixteen-year-old novice. Some will be chosen. The rest must undergo a procedure to destroy their magical ability unless they prove themselves in the mysterious and brutal Mages' Exam. 

Disadvantaged by her parents' low standing, Rocío Lopez has dedicated herself to expanding her considerable talent to earn a place in the Confederation. Their rejection leaves her reeling—and determined to fight to keep her magic. 

Long ashamed of his mediocre abilities, Finn Lockwood knows the Confederation accepted him only because of his prominent family. Declaring for the Exam instead means a chance to confirm his true worth. 

Thrown into the testing with little preparation, Rocío and Finn find themselves becoming unlikely allies—and possibly more. But the Exam holds secrets more horrifying than either could have imagined. What are the examiners really testing them for? And as the trials become increasingly vicious, how much are they willing to sacrifice to win? 

This sounds like magical Battle Royale and I AM HERE FOR IT. I plan to read this one when I've caught up on Maureen Johnson's Shades of London series.


Read This Week



 Whew, after a recent reading slump I'm clearly back to my book devouring self. Somehow I'm fitting these in wth looking after a small human and trips back and forth from nursery.

 

*screeches* SUMMMMMMMER


Well not quite but it's pretty hot and I do have sunburn. It's raining again today so we're hoping that the sun makes an appearance so we can go to the seaside tomorrow.


Last week we went to a comic convention and it was amazing, it was just a small one in comparison to the popular ones but we had in a few actors who'd been in Star Wars and Doctor Who. Loads of stalls to buy things from, plenty of cosplayers and I think everyone enjoyed themselves. I picked up most of these LEGO figures too, except Birthday Cake Guy (back left).

Comments

  1. Yay happy for you that it's summer there now. Here, it's already a hot weather and we are seriously praying for some rain :(
    And 12 books on NetGalley Shelf is nothing as compared to my count :D And 5 book a week? How did you even do that? I can hardly finish one book a week :P

    My STS: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/04/stacking-the-shelves-22/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it must be my superpower because even I don't know - I do know I read books faster in general than other people.

      Delete
  2. It's been really sunny here too! I'm not good with heat, so this is nice enough but I fear how warm it's going to get... And ha, your Netgalley shelf sounds really well controlled compared to mine!

    My STS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't feel very controlled to be honest! I guarantee next week I'll be posting a whole pile of NetGalley books as I tend to forget what I've requested and then they all attack me with approvals at once. :'(

      Delete
  3. Yay for summer! It's been the same here- a long time coming! Ruthless Magic looks fun, and I love that cover of Every Exquisite Thing.

    Ooh I love a good comic convention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't enjoy Every Exquisite Thing to be honest but I do love the cover!

      Delete
  4. I'm trying to keep myself from requesting more titles on NetGalley. I wonder for how long I can restrain myself... Cons are awesome (I'm going to one in the summer), I'm glad you had a good time!

    My STS post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that I won't request any more and then I'll convince myself to "just look" at what's been added... and we all know where that leads.

      Delete
  5. Ruthless Magic looks great. Maybe I'll request it. Thanks for sharing your haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so, so hoping it's good because I'm so hyped for it!

      Delete
  6. You do great for having a toddler and read 5 books in a week! Well done! You need to share me some tips on when you find the time LOL

    Angelica @ Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the key thing is a lack of sleep and an untidy house... I've told myself I'll clean up when she's in school! XD

      Delete
  7. Oh nice new read! I think I read books by her once before! Hope you enjoy this new one!

    Here's
    my STS


    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely heard her name around but haven't read anything by her yet - I think!

      Delete
  8. You should join my State of the ARC meme next week to catch up on your NetGalley shelf :) it usually helps the motivation! :)

    Evelina @ AvalinahsBooks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been meaning to read Matthew Quick. I have Silver Linings Playbook resting on my Kindle.

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved one of his previous books but really hated this one sadly.

      Delete
  10. I'm considering requesting Ruthless Magic too but can't quite decide. I hope you like it though! And I love the covers for Every Exquisite Thing, Strangers, and When the Mountains Roared. I also like how they kind of match? Lol. Oh no, sunburn already?! Hopefully you'll get nice weather to go to the seaside :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when I'm undecided because if I wait for reviews to come up the book might be archived!

      Delete
  11. It's raining here now but it's nice when the weather is beautiful. Ruthless magic looks really good but I must avoid temptation. :)Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you’re able to go to the beach! I wish there was one of those near me. Good luck with catching up on your NetGalley shelf. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best of luck catching up on your NetGalley Shelf! I do my best to stay off Netgalley and Edelweiss because I feel like I fall down the rabbit hole and request so many books. I'm working on clearing up my shelves this year but of course I'm failing.

    Tina @ As Told By Tina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eeep I'm so jealous you got Ruthless Magic! I haven't read a book by this author yet but I've seen a lot of them around. Those Lego figurines are adorable. ♥

    - Aimee @ Aimee, Always

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the cover of Stranger, and When the Mountains Roared. We are still having night time temps below freezing, but I don't like it really hot either. Ha ha. I hope you had a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus